Our goal when treating patients is to bring out a healthy smile that lasts. Your at home dental care plays a critical role in realizing that goal. Good dental care at home begins by consuming balanced meals while limiting the number of snacks you eat between meals. And of course, good at home oral care hinges on frequent brushing and flossing to better control unwanted plaque and bacteria that results in dental disease.
Brushing – Making sure to brush your teeth at least twice a day is essential for good oral health. Brushing helps eliminate plaque build up, which can eventually result in calculus. Review the tooth brushing tips below.
- Gently brush teeth and gumline in a small, circular motion at a 45 degree angle.
- Make sure to brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth.
- Use the toothbrush tip to clean the inner surface of the frontal teeth.
- Remove oral bacteria and better freshen your breath by brushing your tongue.
Flossing – Flossing your teeth on a daily basis is the most effective method to clean between teeth and under the gumline. Flossing reduces plaque build up, which prevents later damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
- Wrap dental floss around your middle fingers, leaving about two inches of floss between each hand.
- Using your forefingers to guide the floss between each teeth, gently scrub the floss back and forth in a sawing motion.
- Bring the floss down around each tooth and under the gumline to clean areas that simple brushing often misses.
Rinsing – It is critical to rinse with water or use a mouth wash solution after brushing. When using over-the-counter rinsing products, it is wise to speak with your dentist for recommendations.